I do not think I am the best mom, I know I have much to learn, and I know that people have different styles of parenting. And more so people have different children and different things are appropriate for different kids. HOWEVER, some things just seem like they should be common sense!
My daughter and some of the kids in my class have said things to me recently that left me speechless. These are things that no young child should know. A child in my class told me that her mommy had a gun (that's fine, we have guns...) and that her mom was going to shoot her dad if he stole her money. (Just a side note her dad is an officer and makes good money, her mother doesn't work) ... I know that kids make things up, and exaggerate and hear things wrong..but why in the WORLD would a conversation anywhere near this happen in front of a 3 year old?!
My daughter has said allot of things to me recently some she picked up at school, some from people who should be more aware of things they are teaching her.
The other day my husband dropped something and said "son of a" and stopped right there. Then I hear a little 4 year old voice say, "Son of a Bitch that's what Rosie said"....um what?! So I had to go into how that's not a nice thing to say and she shouldn't say it. Of course she just kept telling me she didn't say it her friend did. Everyone cusses sometimes, but really, saying son of a Bitch enough that your 4 year old repeats it?
Her is the worst one. She was telling me how her friend had a boyfriend, but they don't have sex. They are 5 I'd sure hope not!!!!!!!!!! I asked her if she knew what sex was, she said kissing. I had to explain that we don't talk about sex, it is private and that only people who are married do that. Why do daycare kids know that boyfriend and girlfriends have sex?! How could you be so open that your child knows that?!
Then about a month later my daughter comes home and tells me her soon to be step mom bought stuff at Victoria's Secret that says "Sexy little bride" Why would you teach a 4 year old sexy. Especially my 4 year old who is already obsessed with dresses and posing and blond hair and makeup?! She also came home saying "hot" from their house a while ago. Hot and Sexy could easily be replaced with pretty, even smart or strong. She is already concerned with looks, the biggest insult you could ever tell her is that she doesn't look cute.
We have friends who tell their kids to quit being ugly, as in attitude. Riley got so offended when she heard that!
So obviously in my eyes these people who are swearing, and talking about sex and shooting people and teaching my daughter words that are not appropriate need to tighten up and mind things the kids are exposed to.
Then on the opposite spectrum their are people who are...to strict? Not allowed to wear dresses, or only with shorts on. Which okay I get for school and stuff, but at home? The girls are told to sit like ladies (even with shorts on) A 4 year old doesn't know why showing undies is bad (nor should they) and how many 4 year olds will sit still legs crossed? They are so worried about the kids being to sexual....being 4, or even up to 10 they do not need to worry about that!!!!!!!!! Even if the girl touches herself down there (which is natural at this age) she gets in time out. We just explain that that is private and doesn't need to be done in living room etc. Making all these things forbidden and a huge deal is not going to be good once they hit the rebellious years!
Again I know that I am not that best parent, and that people have different styles. BUT..COME ON!
No comments:
Post a Comment